Our team of volunteers is engaged in a wide range of activities across the site and throughout the year, including:
- welcoming visitors in our reception area
- stewarding the historic rooms of the House and Library
- invigilating in the Reading Room in our Archive
- helping our collections team with behind-the-scenes activities such as digitisation and packaging of archives, sewing and other conservation projects, as well as oral history.
Volunteers at the Britten-Pears Foundation are offered a wide range of benefits and the opportunity to join a friendly team and develop new skills. In the past these have included:
- digitisation and transcription of archive materials
- conservation of original books, scores, and textiles
- conducting house tours and stewarding
- till training
- customer service training such as Welcome Host Gold qualification
We also hold regular volunteer events at The Red House and organise days out for all our volunteers, most recently a trip to the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Art at UEA, Norwich. We also have a reimbursement policy, meaning that volunteering is accessible to all.
If you are interested in finding out more, please contact our volunteer co-ordinator, Julia Mael, by email or on 01728 451700.