For Benjamin Britten, a quiet place to compose was absolutely essential. He was fortunate enough to achieve this for most of his life, spending his last two decades at The Red House, down a quiet lane on the outskirts of Aldeburgh. Today, at the Britten-Pears Foundation, we are entrusted with a number of properties – two on The Red House site, and one nearer the town centre – that we are happy to offer to composers and other artists for the purposes of a peaceful, creative retreat. The properties are suitable for individuals, or for 2 (or more) people. To find out more, please read the Scheme Info below, and click on links to the individual properties.
Composer Martin Ward talks about his time at Church Walk earlier this year.
Sorana Santos talks about her stay at Cosy Nook.
Creative Retreat Scheme Info
- There is no charge for the retreats.
- The scheme is open to composers, performers, collaborative artists, writers and researchers.
- Individuals or collaborative groups can apply for a maximum of two separate retreats per calendar year and for a maximum of two weeks per retreat.
- The retreats are for professional purposes, not for personal or family holidays
- We would like to document the participant’s time during their creative retreat in Aldeburgh. This can be in any format, such as: a short piece to camera, a journal post or testimonial, social media engagement, an audio narrative, etc. This will be discussed further in advance of your stay.
- During open season (March-October) participants on the retreats are entitled to a free pass to visit The Red House site during their stay. Outside open season there may be the opportunity to see some of the site by appointment.
- Participants can visit the Archive at The Red House by appointment for the purposes of research.
- All the properties are entirely self-catering.
- Each property has a piano or keyboard
- All properties are non-smoking, and no pets are allowed
Current availability is listed on the individual property pages. Please complete the form below, and click ‘send’ when you have finished.